How to transfer Schools within PISD
A common question asked amongst Plano Moms is how to transfer a child to a different school in town. Whatever reason you are wanting a transfer, it is possible, but there is a procedure to follow. Here is how to transfer schools in Plano, Texas.
You need to have all the information on the school you wish to transfer to. PISD does not all transfers to every school. It depends on the size and any other circumstances. For 2019-2020 school year this is what the PISD website says:
Due to building instructional programs and functions, enrollment projections, staff assignments, boundary changes, and/or anticipated construction projects we will NOT be approving requests to transfer for the fall semester of the 2018-19 school year TO the following schools:
Renner Middle School
Transfer requests to all other Plano I.S.D. schools will be considered on space/staff available basis in the particular grade level/classroom. Several grade levels in a building may be closed to transfer students due to staffing and enrollment. Due to enrollment and staffing issues involved with specialized programs no transfers will be granted for pre-kindergarten programs offered at Isaacs, Beaty, and Pearson Early Childhood Schools and Head Start during the 2018-19 school year.
A non-refundable transfer application fee of $50.00 per request is due at the time of application. This list is subject to change as periodic updates and modifications of actual and projected enrollments, building capacities, staff assignments, and attendance boundary changes are confirmed and when limits are approved and campuses must be closed.
PISD Transfer Updated Info for 2019-2020 school year:
The Elementary Transfer date begins April 15th at 6:30 am!!!
You must log onto the PISD website to receive a number to hold your place in line for requesting a transfer for the 2019-2020 school year. Online access will end April 12 at 5:00 pm. There is a fee of $50.
Transfer day will be Monday, April 15th with doors opening at 7:45 am at the admin building (2700 W. 15th street).
In order to secure your spot, you must do this ASAP! Taken from the PISD website:
Transfers are approved on a first-come first serve basis to available schools and grade levels. Transfer limits apply and when limits are reached grade levels and campuses are closed to transfers.
Transfers requested on June 15 to the first day of class will be considered for children of employees, children who move during the summer, children new to the district, and for students who wish to enroll in a Board approved magnet course not offered at their home school. Transfers are considered before school begins and at mid-term. We do not move children from one campus to another during the academic semesters.
For more information contact:
Student Administrative Services
5804 Coit Road, Suite # 102,Plano, Texas 75023
Business Hours 8:00 – 5:00 Monday – Friday 469-752-3793 or 469-752-3794
Are you new to Plano ISD? Here is more information all about the schools across the district.
Here are some most common questions asked by Plano Moms about transferring to other schools in the district.
- Once I transfer one of my kids, will I need to follow the same procedure to transfer my remaining kids as they become school age? Yes! You will need to follow the same procedure. Just because one of your children was accepted for a transfer does not mean others will. You will have to apply and hope the rest get accepted as well.
- My child will be starting Kinder in the Fall but I want him to attend a different school, how do I transfer him? You will need to register your child at their home school and then apply for the transfer following the above procedure as outlined by Plano ISD transfer policies.
- We are moving. Can my kids stay at their same school in Plano? If you are staying the same zone then your kids can stay at the same school. If you are moving into a different boundary area then your kids will need to transfer schools. You would need to contact the new school to get more information on registration. If it is the 2nd semester, we’ve been told they can stay and finish out the remainder of the school year.
- Do I have to reapply for a transfer every school year? NO!!! Once you get the transfer, you are good to go for the remainder of that school term until the child moves to a different school. For ex: If you got accepted for elementary school you will reapply if trying for a certain middle school, then high school.
Plano Moms Suggest These Tips:
- On the Morning of Transfer Day: Get up Early and BE READY BEFORE 6:30 on the computer. Get your fingers ready to get in!!!!!
- After you’ve been given your number to go to Admin building don’t forget your $50 registration fee!!! (non-refundable)
- Keep in mind for older kids transferring (middle and high school aged) that if playing sports they could be put on academic probation due to the transfer, just be aware.
Do you have any more questions or tips for on the transfer process? Let us know!