We love sharing our favorite events for local families who are looking for Plano events nearby. Look no further than our Dallas and Plano Events near me (and you) for the top things to do each month.
Our Calendar of things to do nearby around Plano, Frisco, Dallas, and the DFW area. If you’re looking for ideas for things to do this weekend, we have those too.
Aside from Plano Texas events this month, there are over 20 new and old landmarks and hidden gems around Plano, that you can check out!
Even if these events don’t make it on your calendar this month, why not visit some of our great parks and trails and hike, or take a Scavenger Hunt in Oak Point Park and Nature Preserve or the ever-popular Arbor Hills Nature Preserve, the Heritage Farmstead Museum or some of the great Plano attractions in Downtown Plano Arts District, like the Texas Electric Railway and Interurban Railway Museum in Plano, TX.
For younger kids, we love the Crayola Experience Plano and for older kids on good weather days, we recommend the Go Ape Treetop Adventure!
We update these events happening this month and scour the Internet looking for the best and most fun things to do nearby for families. For more information on any event, please contact the event organizer directly. Plano Moms does not host any of these events, but we do share them when we find them.
Note: Seasonal Event listings are updated about a month before the season.
Things to do in May
May is a busy one! The end of school, Mother’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, Memorial Day. It is also Mental Health Awareness Month.
Grab your girlfriends, and your credit card and plan a fun day out
Our Picks for you:
- Spring Skincare Refresh at Magnolia Dermatology of Frisco on May 12 from 12 pm – 3 pm. 20% off cosmetic procedures and products.
- Pick up your fresh produce at one of many Farmer’s markets in the area.
- Mother’s Day Market at the Dallas Arboretum on May 13 – 14.
- Make sure you catch one of the Sip and Stroll shopping events happening in Downtown Plano, usually on the 3rd Thursday of the month.
- Go to a Night market – we suggest the Night Market at CityLine DFW or Celina’s Friday night market. You’ll often find live music and food options to grab dinner while you’re out.
- The Boho Market at Frisco Square is on May 27 from 10 am – 4 pm.
7 Best Places: Local Farmers Market near me
If you’re looking for a fun shopping trip, to stock up on locally sourced produce, meat, fish and homemade products from local artisans, you’re likely asking “Where are the best places to find a Local Farmers Market near me?” We are fortunate to have some great year-round local farmers markets nearby and farmers markets in…
Enjoy some live music
- Live Music at Legacy West. May 4, 6, 13, 20 & 27..
- CityLine Live, Richardson. May 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26 & 27.
- Live at Grandscape. May 12, 13 & 19.
- Wildflower! Arts & Music Festival is on May 19 – 21 in Richardson.
- Music on the Square in Downtown Celina on May 19 from 7.30 pm – 9 pm.
Let’s Celebrate Spring
- ZimSculpt at the Fort Worth Botanic Gardens is on through June 4. ZimSculpt features more than 100 exquisite sculptures by several dozen contemporary Zimbabwean artists. Included with general admission.
- Cottonwood Art Festival is on May 6 – 7 at Cottonwood Park in Richardson. Free admission and parking.
- “Fiesta for Families” will feature face painting, kids’ craft stations, festive games, water park ticket giveaways, sugar-skull decorating, and more. May 5 from 4 pm – 7 pm at The Shops at Legacy North.
- Newstalk 820 WBAP and WFAA bring you The On Time Experts Weathercon 2023 at Frontiers of Flight Museum on May 6 from 10 am – 3 pm. This is a free event.
- Plano Asia Fest 2023 is at Haggard Park on May 6 from 11 am – 5 pm. Enjoy Asian performances, Asian food, martial arts, vendor booths, and more!
- 11th Annual Frisco StrEATS Food Truck & Music Festival is on May 6 from 11 am – 8 pm in the Frisco Rail Yard District. Frisco StrEATS is Texas’ longest-running food truck festival, and features gourmet food from the best food trucks in the DFW metroplex, live musical acts, a unique shopping experience, craft beer and wine, and countless children’s activities! It’s a full day of fun for the whole family!
- Wylie 500 Pedal Car Race – let your kids ages 2-5 race a pedal car 500 inches down Ballard Avenue on May 7 from 1 pm – 4 pm. The $15 entry fee includes a T-shirt and ribbon.
- Flower Mound Arts Festival at Heritage Park on May 13 from 10 am – 4 pm.
- Legacy West + Witty Kids Discovery Walks – Witty Kids Discovery Walks are fun walks that are full of opportunities for outdoor learning. Author Rebecca Clark brings her children’s book to life by creating a space for children to use their imagination by exploring ideas. May 13 , 10 am – 11 am.
- Texas Mineral & Fossil Dallas-Plano Show – ✦Free Parking ✦Free Admission ✦Free Family Fun. Come purchase unique, quality minerals, fossils, meteorites & tektites, crystals, & more! May 19 – 21 at Plano Event Center.
- Touch a Truck in Anna is on May 20 from 10 am – 1 pm. The event will also include food trucks and free activities.
- The SpongeBob Musical at ArtCentre Theatre May 26 – June 4, tickets are $18 online.
- Frog Pond Waterpark Opening Day!! at Farmers Branch Aquatic Center on May 27 from 10 am – 6 pm.
Other events happening this month
- PCBC Kidz Closet at Prairie Creek Baptist Church in Plano. They provide new and gently used clothing for free for school aged kids. Open Wednesday nights or by appointment. Open May 3 & 10.
- The Hope Center’s National Day of Prayer on May 4 from 12 pm – 1 pm at The Hope Center in Plano.
- Cinco de Mayo Fiesta at Legacy Hall on May 5 from 11 am.
- Cinco de Mayo at Grandscape on May 5 from 6 pm – 9 pm.
- 13th Annual Head for the Cure 5K – North Texas is a 5K run/walk raising funds for brain cancer research and awareness. Family friendly! It’s on May 6 from 8 am – 11 am at Red Tail Pavilion, Plano.
- Derby Day Wine & Whiskey Walk McKinney – Drink wine, shop, and fill the streets of Downtown McKinney with colorful derby hats and bowties at the 2023 Derby Day Wine & Whiskey Walk! May 6, 11 am- 5 pm in Downtown McKinney. Tickets are $30 – $55.
- Black Heritage Celebration at Dallas Arboretum on May 6 & 7. Included with admission.
- Salt the Rim is Plano’s third annual margarita tasting celebration on Saturday, May 6 from 6-10:30 pm at McCall Plaza.
- White Rock Dog Walk/5k is on May 7 from 7 am – 12 pm. $35 Per Person includes Tee-Shirt.
- Allen Food + Wine Festival Presented by H-E-B is on May 13 from 12 pm – 4 pm at The Village of Allen. Tickets from $30.
- Celina Cajun Fest is on May 13 from 2 pm – 9 pm at Downtown Celina. While feasting on one of the largest crawfish boils in Texas, you will enjoy live alligator shows, local vendors offering food, drinks, and unique items, and a large kids zone area with inflatables and carnival rides. And live music.
- Moms are RAWRsome! at the Dinosaur Company in Allen is on May 14 from 9 am – 5 pm. Free event.
- Mother’s Day Brunch at Legacy Hall on May 14 from 10 am – 2 pm. Legacy Hall is your one-stop shop this Mother’s Day to treat mom to a fun and relaxing Sunday Brunch!
- Mother’s Day at Reunion Tower on May 14 from 12 pm – 5 pm. Make her glow with a day at the top, live entertainment, a chocolate pop-up shop and a souvenir digital photo, all included with a general admission ticket purchase.
- Free Skincare Workshop at 1418 Coffee in Plano on May 17 from 1 pm – 2 pm.
- Walk to Cure Arthritis on May 20 from 9 am – 11 am at Addison Circle Park. This is a free event.
- Luau at Grandscape is on May 20 from 7 pm – 10 pm. Event Includes: – Traditional Hawaiian performances including fire dancers, and – Traditional food, beverage & market vendors (available for purchase). Event is free to attend.
- Memorial Day – Boots & BBQ Fest at Legacy Hall is on May 28 from 12.30 pm. ALL DAY country music, craft beer and darn good BBQ!
- Memorial Day at Grandscape Texas is on May 29 from 11 am – 12.30 pm.
Our friends at Visit Plano are also a great resource for ideas too!
Go on a Scavenger Hunt Adventure around Plano
Thanks to Plano Moms for helping me knock two things off my son’s personal summer bucket list … walking trails and doing a scavenger hunt with Mom!
They have pre-made scavenger hunts for Oak Point Park, Arbor Hills, and Russell Creek.