Although the chiropractic profession has been around for 122 years, parents are just now discovering the benefits a pediatric chiropractor can provide for their child’s health.
The nervous system (your brain, spinal cord, and nerves) is the master system of the body. This means that it coordinates every cell, muscle, tissue, and organ in the body. It is our job as pediatric chiropractors to clear your child’s nervous system of any interference, via the adjustment, so they can grow and develop to their fullest potential.
If there is any interference (subluxation) in the nervous system, then your child is not functioning at his/her fullest potential. Your child may show signs of secondary conditions such as decreased immune function, constipation, asthma, ear infections, developmental delays, and colic. Since the nervous system is the master system of the body, the display of possible secondary conditions is endless.
Here are the top 10 Reasons Parents Take Their Kids to See a Pediatric Chiropractor
- Better Sleep. When your baby or child’s spine is properly aligned they will have a better night’s sleep and so will you. Regular adjustments can help with underlying pain or tension that may be causing sleep disturbances, such as ear pain or constipation spinal misalignments.
- Help with Colic. If you have ever had a baby with colic, you know it can make life miserable for them and anyone around them. Colicky babies are fussy and irritable, beyond the scope of normal infant fussiness. Birth trauma, even from a natural birth can produce tension or cause nerve compromise. Since a baby is unable to communicate they cry and cry! Chiropractic care can help relieve the tension and nerve compromise and allow your baby to be much happier.
- Higher Breastfeeding Success. As mentioned above birth trauma can cause a misalignment in your baby’s neck and shoulders, this can cause them pain when attempting to breastfeed. This is when we see mother’s that are only able to feed baby successfully on one side, and others are unable to feed their babies at all. Ensuring proper alignment will allow your baby to have the full range of motion in their neck, TMJ, and shoulders and will increase your chances for breastfeeding success.
- Plagiocephaly. Also known as Flat Head Syndrome. We are seeing this more and more with the use of swings and bouncers. By restoring proper movement to the upper neck, cranial sutures, and pelvis through gentle adjustments and muscle work, we are able to see improvement without the use of helmets!
- Help with Digestive Issues. Sometimes when formula or solid foods are added to your baby’s or child’s diet it can cause stress on their body, and you end up with that dreadful constipation. Chiropractic adjustments can help remove the stress from the nervous system to help restore the nerve supply to digestive organs. (We’ve become pretty famous about making babies poop on the car ride home!)
- Help with Ear Infections. Chiropractic care can help remove any tension/misalignment in the upper neck that may by preventing proper drainage of your kiddo’s ears! We find that many of our littles are able to avoid antibiotics and ear tubes with regular chiropractic care.
- When Your Children Fall, Jump and Play Hard. Regular adjustments make sure your children are able to continue to function optimally while they are figuring out balance and gravity.
- Sick Care. Chiropractic is all about helping the nervous system function at its full potential which includes boosting the immune system. Therefore, chiropractic adjustments with help your children get better from a cold quicker!
- Better Concentration and Fewer Behavioral Issues. When your child is misaligned they have more tension on the nervous system. Depending on where this tension is for some it can create concentration and behavioral issues. Chiropractic adjustments can help remove this tension and help your child in this area.
- So Your Children Grow the Way they are Supposed to! With proper alignment, children grow with no extra pressure on their bones, muscles, and nerves.