The burning question – which is better?
The Plano Moms Facebook Group has received so many inquiries on this topic in the past months. The burning question is which one, if any, is better?
Well… it is no small task to decide which one to go for since both offered such amazing deals on goods and services. Both warehouse stores promise exceptional offers compared with conventional grocery stores or retailers. So which one to get the membership for?
Since this is such a broad topic and the decision should all depend on your shopping needs; we have compiled what most of Plano Moms’ members have enjoyed about each..
Costco – Membership
These items are considered worth buying at Costco:
- Organic Produce
- Gourmet Foods (Prosciutto, Smoked & Cured Meats, cheeses, pizza, etc.)
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Bisquik (Cheaper than the store)
- Poultry (salmon, tilapia)
- Bottled Water (Topo Chico and a lot of other brands)
- Snacks (Chips, chocolates, protein bars, nuts, crackers)
- Pre Made Dinner (Chicken Pot Pie)
- Pantry & Dry Goods (Peanut Butter, Nutella. spices and seasonings)
- Canned Goods (SPAM, Peanut Butter,
- Cleaning Essentials (Paper Towels, toilet paper, detergent, dish soaps
- Kids Products (Diapers, wipes)
- Wine/ Beer
- Car rentals
- Home Furniture and Decor
- Office Supplies
Other reasons for choosing Costco:
- Customer service is great
- Free Food Samples
- High Quality (lots of organic and Gluten-free items)
- Return policy: Full refund if dissatisfied on most of the products with no expiry!
- Known for always taking care of the employees. They pays them well, better than industry peers
Sam’s Club – Membership
- Produce (fruits and vegetables)
- Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- Honey Maid Graham Crackers
- Snacks (Prepackaged items)
- Dog and Cat supplies
- Kids Items (diapers, wipes, and formula)
- Dreft Laundry Detergent
Other reasons for choosing Sam’s Club:
- Low Membership Fee
- Open at 7 am for Plus and Business members
- They don’t ask for a membership card when you walk in
- Less crowded and cost less
- Lots of common products available
- Free shipping and store pick up
- Store App check out (no waiting in line)
- Return Policy: Full refund if dissatisfied on most products
Great News: Sam’s Club NOW, cashier-less store, has soft opening in Dallas. Check it out!
If you are still not sure if it is worth getting a membership. Here are a few things to consider before joining a warehouse club membership, we hope this can help you decide.
Size of your family
Families with growing kids in the house, getting a membership is a no-brainer. For sure a family like this will need larger amounts of produce, meat, dairy, etc. and savings from buying in bulk will apply. However, if you are a single adult, a childfree couple or even an empty nester you may question savings you’ll get with a membership. Thus, consider your shopping habits and the items that you buy regularly.
Think about the other services they offer (e.g., gas, auto/tires, electronics, travel, appliances) and double check how this can benefit you.
They often offer “no question ask” return policy which is the best in the industry.
Check if you are conveniently located to any of the warehouse stores. And if you one of those people who has no time to go in the store or wanted to avoid shopping unnecessary items (happens all the time when you are at the store and find some new irresistible items. HA… a lot of us are guilty on this one), then check out their delivery options and mobile apps.
Forms of Payment
This is important to consider because both stores have different acceptable method of payments.
Test It Out
You wouldn’t know if you won’t try. Just let them know if it’s not working out for you and I am sure they will cancel and give you refund at any time if you are dissatisfied. And, you can always try Target Birthday Cakes if neither work for you!