Spring is here and that means the beautiful bluebonnets are starting to pop up all over town. They don’t last very long so time is limited. Here are some of the best places to find bluebonnets in Plano and surrounding areas.
- JC Penney Headquarters: Address: 6501 Legacy Dr, Plano, TX 75024 Know before you go: This is a high traffic area during the work week. It’s best to go after 5 or on the weekends. Many local photographers also take photos here so know that there will be lots of people around! (Update: There have been some changes to the land and some of the bluebonnet fields are now gone. You can still go here but there aren’t as many as there usually are!)
- NE intersection of Custer and Spring Creek: (Behind the 7-11) on Bluebonnet Trail The field behind the 7-11 has had some great patches of bluebonnets for the last several years now. Know Before you Go: There are power lines in the background. It’s a safe place to park but the area might not be covered in bluebonnets, just some patches here and there.
- Highway 78/Country Club (Near Firewheel)
- Panther Creek Area (Zion Cemetary in Frisco) Does get crowded with people and it’s on a hill!
- Fujitsu Field (George Bush/Renner in Richardson)
- Allen- Bethany/Alma (in the median) Know Before you Go: These can be great bluebonnets but they are in the median of a very busy road! Please be careful!!
- Ennis Texas This would be a fun day trip. Every year they have a bluebonnet festival and have been known to have the BEST place to take pictures!
Spring Creek/Custer location
As with any bluebonnet patches, please be careful as bees are usually very attracted to these flowers. Also, snakes love to burrow in the flower patches so be careful with your little ones! It’s best to pick a spot on the outside of the bluebonnets!
Here’s a tip! When my kids were younger I used to bring a stool or chair to sit on. I always had them wear rainboots too so they wouldn’t be too muddy. With boots on, we didn’t have to worry about them stepping on bees 🙂
What other places can we add to our list?